by: Lance Kimball
The United Servicers Association annual convention the Appliance Service Training Institute, or ASTI for short, was a huge success. It was held on sunny St. Petersburg Beach, Florida at the Tradewinds Resort. The location was fantastic and very relaxing. Attendees took advantage of the beautiful white sandy beach with walks along the Gulf of Mexico. The sunrise and sunset everyday where breathtaking. Attendees all ate well at the Tradewinds and the surrounding area restaurants. The local seafood was out of this world, and if you wanted a libation around the pool or on the beach, that was available too.
If you have never taking advantage of attending the Annual Service Training Institute. The convention is promoted as a four day event, but it is really five days. On Sunday before the convention is scheduled to starts, United Servicers Association offers pre day classes. Many attendees take advantage of these classes. Classes offered on Sunday included R600 and Lokring training presented by Richard Sedlack. Basic Refrigeration presented by Dyer Academy. Basic Electricity presented by Fred’s Academy. Many of the software providers offer training to their users. This year Daniel Beaule offered an all day session titled “Grow My Business and Lead My Industry”. The session was new and was highly educational for all that attended.
United Servicers Association wants all attendees to get their money worth, we start early Monday morning at 7:00am. The convention started off with a great and inspiring keynote address by David Brightman of Bosch Appliances. The ASTI offers courses on both business management and technical training. Attendees are allowed to attend any session.
Business Management sessions included:
- Reputation Management and Social Media
- Professional Appliance Service Pricing – Identifying the “Real Value” Offered by Independent Service Organizations
- Liability Lawsuits/Claims – How to Avoid or Handle If They Happen
- Overcome The Three Barriers To Business Growth
- Customer Optimization & Service Company Growth
- Inventory Management Strategies
- Planning For Long Term Business Success
- Maximizing The Value of Your Business At Sale
- Tools & Tips For Your Team’s Success With Warranty & Contract Work
- Intro to Lean Training/Sigma Six Training
- Vehicle Wrapping – How Not To Get a Bad Wrap
- PayPerClick – How Not To Waste Money
- Technician Soft Skills
- The Profit Principles – Know Your Numbers
- Employee Hiring & Best Practices
- Business Self-Sustainability – One Strategy To Achieve Every Exit Plan (& even some you haven’t considered)
- How To Triple Your Profit With Your CSRs
- How To Become Invincible To Lawsuits & Save Thousands In Taxes
- Preparing For Growth
- Mid-size Company Marketing
- InMarket Leads -How To Find People Already Ready To Buy Before Your Competition Does
- KPI – What Gets Measured Gets Done
- Relationships: How To Leverage Them And Win Every Time
- Success With Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – Marketing
- The Basics of Cloud and Remote Systems
- Cyber Protection & Ransomware
- Retirement Planning
- Running An Efficient Business
- Vehicles – What, Where, When, Why
- Pricing Parts for Profit
- Delivering On The Promise of Integrated Digital Marketing For Your Business
Technical sessions including:
- Chemistry of Dishwasher Soap
- General Electric
- Sub Zero
- Speed Queen
For the real early risers, there is Brainstorming session offered Tuesday through Thursday that starts a 6:00am. This session is an open forum to share and exchange idea. Attendees are encouraged to ask any question. A goal of attending a convention is to learn from your peers and this is a fantastic avenue for attendees to learn and exchange ideas.
The trade show during the ASTI was busy as ever. The trade show opens on Monday night with horderves and cocktails. It is very exciting and fun meeting with all the sponsors and vendors. Vendors showing their offering to attendees. Attendees being able to meet new vendors and say hello to their current vendors. Many vendors offering giveaways and drawing for gifts. This is truly a fun event for everyone.
The last item I want to mention is the banquet. The banquet is a great time with food and drink. It also gives United Servicers Association an opportunity to thank our sponsors and supporters. Every year UASA awards a Lifetime Achievement Award. This year winner was Ron Sawyer founder of the Professional Service Association.
To all sponsors, vendors, members, and attendees, thank you for your support and attending the 2018 Appliance Service Training Institute. Please make plan to attend next year March 2nd to 5th, 2019 at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN. www.asti.us